Sunday, September 23, 2012

Oh, BOY!!! A FALL bird-visitor!

We've gotten used to the springtime visits of birds trying to nest in our dryer vent.  Jer even looks forward to it.  But today (of course while I was in the shower trying to get ready for the Brigham City Temple dedication...) we had a fall visitor.  It was announced, as we've become accustomed to, by the shrieks of Jennifer who said, "MOM!!!!  There's a bird in the dryer!!!"  And, as usual, my heart stopped, and I instantly felt a surge of panic.  How was I going to take care of this NOW?!?  Why again this year?  We already housed 4 starlings this spring.  Here comes the cleanup of feathers, food, droppings, and various cages...  Ugh.

Well, there was only one.  Jer happily caught it, placed it in a licorice tub decorated quickly with a recycled robin's nest, some grasses, and some bread crumbs. He took pictures of it, and tried to feed it microwave popcorn.  When he placed a "leash" of string around it's neck, Mike and I decided it was time (also in a panic) to let it go...IMMEDIATELY!  Jer did, with some discontent, and we managed to clean up and still get to the dedication on time.  Barely.

What fun he has!

No comments: